5 Things Black Men Can Do To Grow A Better Beard From Scratch
Congratulations on your decision to join the ranks of black men with well groomed, attention-grabbing beards! Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know the Beard Gang lifestyle is serious. Lots of people think growing a full, healthy beard is easy, but the truth is, in order to rock a beard gang worthy beard you’ve got to make sure you care for your beard. The health of your beard and the overall appearance is largely affected by a few key factors. While these factors vary depending on the beard wearer, there are a few beard tips and strategies all black men with beards can use to grow a better beard from scratch. Check ‘em out right here.
- Take care of the skin beneath your beard. Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t need care. The secret to a great beard is a solid foundation. Your facial hair steals moisture from your skin which sometimes leaves your skin dry causing dandruff in your beard (not cool bro). It’s important that you implement a daily skin care regime when you’re rocking a beard, so even if you decide to shave your beard one day, your skin will be smooth and healthy. To keep your skin healthy be sure to:
- Exfoliate your skin - A facial wash or scrub will allow you to rinse the dead skin way, leaving your skin fresh and smooth.
- Moisturize your skin daily - As we said before your facial hair steals moisture from the skin which can leave your skin dry if you do not moisturize it daily. Beard moisturizers and beard oils allow you to keep your beard, and the skin beneath it, hydrated.
- Shampoo your beard. Water just won’t cut it. Like the hair on your head, your beard needs shampooing. If you don’t wash your hair, your scalp will become itchy and dry, the same applies for your face. Be sure to use a safe shampoo on your face and wash your beard as needed.
- Avoid harsh ingredients on your beard. The products you use on your face matter. If you’ve been just stealing your girlfriend’s shampoo and conditioner, or sticking with good ‘ole vaseline, you’re in trouble! It imperative that you do your due diligence when researching and finding the best products for you. We’ve already gone in depth about the top ingredients to avoid at all cost, you can read that here.
- Change your diet. You’ve heard it before, “you are what you eat.” That same saying accounts to the quality and health of your beard. A poor diet can leave your beard dry, brittle, and patchy. According to Jim White, registered dietician and spokesman for The American Dietetic Association, the condition of your facial hair directly corresponds to the health of your body. With that fact, it’s crucial for you to upgrade your diet to include the proper nutrients that boost beard health.
- Exercise. Exercising has been scientifically proven to improve your overall health which includes the healthiness of your skin and hair. Working out regularly:
- Increases testosterone levels which boost beard growth
- Reduces stress. Too much stress lowers testosterone
- Boosts metabolism which triggers hair growth
- Give your beard some time to grow. Growing a beard is an investment of time. Don’t fear though, we’re talking weeks, not months or years. Your beard can be itchy at first and might even grow in patchy. These are normal conditions and will improve if you give your beard the time it needs. When growing a beard for the first time
- Keep it clean - Like we said, the skin beneath your beard is greatly affected by your grooming process, be sure to keep your beard clean.
- Fight the itch - Just give it a few days. Once your face gets used to your new beard, the itch will subside. Keeping your face clean should help, but unfortunately won’t always eliminate itch 100%.
- Avoid shaping or trimming your beard - Give your beard time to find its true pattern, it will take at least about a month.
Whether you’re a beard beginner or a bearded veteran, these tips will help you grow a beard you can be proud of. If you’re ready to take your beard from average to Beard Gang approved, order one of our beard care products today.
Here’s what some of our customers have to say about Fresh Heritage products:
“I am very pleased with the oil. It is helping my beard become fuller and thicker.” - Thaddiu Brown
“I can feel and tell the difference in my beard since using this product. I will continue to use it. Thank you!” - Joshua Owens
“I always wanted to grow a beard but I had trouble getting it to grow but since I started using Fresh Heritage I’m noticing a big change...My beard is growing in spots that I could not grow at one time. Thank you Fresh Heritage for my amazing results.” - Robert Hankins.
Ready to rock a full, healthy beard? Shop Now!